I posted last time that I was intimidated by cooking everything from scratch. Well, that feeling still remains. I have had more failures than successes but at least I am trying (and crying)! The things that I have made that I would actually offer someone other than my immediate family is the peanut brittle,
send them to me! I have some excellent cookbooks in the crate but that won't be here for months! Don't get me wrong... We are not going hungry. We have plenty of food, it just mostly has to be prepared. Not like some of the easy stuff back in the states! I have also gotten a lot of good recipes from others but more would be helpful!
Other crazy stuff has happened here also! A lot of it has to do with Brad and the truck. He left the lights on twice overnight and had to get it jumped started. He has also been in one accident, which was not his fault. A guy on a motorcycle ran into our truck and was fine. The police would not let Brad leave until our supervisor got there and could translate for Brad! So Brad got to sit in a crazy police station for a while! Hopefully that will not happen again!
So ..what does a normal day look like for us right now? Well....I set my alarm for 5:45 am and get up to drink a cold cup of coffee and do my quiet time before my girls get up. They have been waking up around 6:30 am since we have been here which I am not too thrilled about. The girls come stumbling into the living room and me or Brad start getting breakfast ready around 7 am. Most days we go and buy eggs from this little "butiki" (store) that is less than a block from our house. They of course are not refridgerated but we have only gotten one bad egg since being here! If Brad is fixing the breakfast I usually go and start the washing machine. It takes it about 10 minutes to fill up with water and so I wait to put the clothes in until it is at least 1/2 way full. I have done at most 3 loads of laundry in one day because everything has to line dry and I don't have that much line to dry my clothes on yet. This morning a new friend actually brought us some metal poles to attach more lines too and I can't wait to get them up! Somedays my laundry smells good but somedays it does not. There is a "trash yard" a few blocks from our house where they constantly burn trash so if the wind is blowing our direct our laundry kind of smells like it. Nice. Now maybe me and my house helper can get all the laundry done in one day! After breakfast I start language learning at 8 am and go for 2 hrs. During this time Brad is watching the girls and doing other projects around the house. Brad and I then switch and he goes until noon. While Brad is finishing up I start getting lunch ready. The girls normally eat french bread (buy it fresh about every day) with Nutella spread on it and Yoplait yogurt. The yogurt taste a little different and is sometimes so thin you have to drink it. The girls love it though and I put sprinkles that I brought with me from the states in it to make it fun! (thanks sis for the great idea!). The girls then take their much needed daily nap and Brad and I try to sit down and study or get other house stuff done or one of us goes and gets things needed (mostly Brad does that part). Brad usually has a couple of guys come by to greet him and sometimes they stay to make the tea they drink here, which is an art in itself and will keep you up all night! After the girls get up from their nap I try to play some with them. We go outside and go on "adventures" around our house and pretend our trees are a massive jungle and that our chickens and all the lizards running around are strange animals! They love it! Around 5 or 6 we start dinner preparations and then start getting ready for bed after dinner. We try and get the girls in bed by 8. I have been reading to them from the Bible and we have already gone thru Ester, Jonah, and are now on Ruth. My girls are really
interested in the girls in the Bible right now! We then sing songs. Mara's favorite song is "The Revelation Song" and Macy likes "Lord Prepare Me to be a Sanctuary" song right now. The girls finally go to bed and I am completely worn out! However, I usually make my way to the kitchen and fill up our water filter bucket for the next day since we have to drink filtered water here. I also fill up the small ice trays we have so we can have ice first thing in the morning, especially for my iced coffee!!!
There is more to write but I want to make sure this posts! Maybe I can get some pictures up soon!
Karrie, you are doing great! I know it's not easy to figure out life overseas and cooking from scratch but it will be easier with time. We were only married 2 yrs before moving overseas and I couldn't cook much (w/o American conveniences)! I didn't know you have to soak dry beans so the first soup I made was full of rocks! :) It just takes time to figure it all out. Glad to hear that your girls are doing well!
ReplyDeleteOh, that was me Emily (Kerr)Renner.
ReplyDeleteWe loved reading your post. And Jackson has enjoyed seeing pictures of your girls in Africa! I got tired just reading about your daily routine - I can't imagine how you guys feel! Praying that you would find refreshment in the Lord and that He would be your strength.
ReplyDeleteYour doing so good just attempting to cook from scratch! What a task! I will pray for yall about that and I'm so glad Brad likes to cook! Adam is the same way!! Praying, praying for ya'll
ReplyDeleteI have read your posts - - - - discovered your blog a couple of weeks ago. I am truly impressed at what you had to learn before leaving - - - killing a chicken?!!! You are doing some remarkable things in your journey to follow HIM! Your husband's excess energy has definitely been what you need as a resource. You two make a great team together. THANK YOU for taking time to update and I am thankful you now have a bit of climate-control inside the house. It's easier for me to deal with cold weather than hot and humid. That will just zap all your energy.
ReplyDelete